Bees in my Bonnet

"art for real people"

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hey everybody!




I decided to start trying to blog more often so be sure to check back regularly in case I say something earth-shattering!





I'd like to start sharing some of my art tips with you each time I post! Creating Art can be healing, relaxing, encouraging, fulfilling and among lots of other things....just plain FUN! My art has given me more joy than anyone should ever have! I've been fortunate enough to be able to make enough money to justify all the time I spend doing it AND the rewards have been unmeasurable!





I've noticed that people who collect my art eventually want to try their hand at it too, so over the years I've done a bit of shifting and have been offering more "art supplies" and "kits" for all of you! There is nothing more satisfying than hearing from someone who thought they weren't creative and being able to feel the excitement in their email! I LOVE IT!





So in hopes that maybe you...yes YOU...who doesn't think they are artistic will have the courage to begin, I'm offering you some fun little ideas!






I hope you enjoy them!



BECKY'S ARTIST TRADING CARD TIPS!





Try starting with those tiny little gems....ARTIST TRADING CARDS! They are small....2 1/2" by 3 1/2" and I've found that the size allows me more freedom to play and "make mistakes" because it's not just one big project that HAS TO TURN OUT! I can also have sooooo many going at once that it's fun just to glue a bit here, stick another bit there and just have fun without the worry of "failure"! If I don't like the way one turns out I just recycle it and begin again! More often than not though I end up with pieces that would never have happened had I not felt so free to experiment!





The things you need to begin you probably already have!





1) heavy cardstock or mat board cut into 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" pieces (sometimes I use the heavy backing from note pads etc)




2) pretty paper for backgrounds (Pretty sacks from stores, leftover scrapbooking paper, or wrapping paper works GREAT!)




3) small images.....start with pics cut from magazines. Because of copyright issues the end product won't be able to be sold but using images from magazines is a great way to experiment and get started!




4) collage medium...I usually use golden's or mod podge(or elmers glue works great!)



If you're using elmers water it down just a bit and brush a thin even coat onto your card. Apply a piece of art paper that's been cut a wee bit bigger than your card. Use your hand or a brayer (a small rolling pin) to smooth it out. Wait until it's dry and trim around the edges!



I usually start with a "person" image so that comes next and then just cut, paste and glue to your heart's content! The ART POLICE won't be coming around judging you so if you think it looks good...IT LOOKS GOOD! Have the courage to JUST GLUE IT DOWN! PLAY ahd have FUN and you will be amazed at what you can create!



MORE TOMORROW but in the meantime look at some of the atc's I've created this week!

Three are on ebay right now and the other 6 WILL BE SOON!
















LOVE Becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home